Sunday, February 2, 2014

Thinking about Huck Finn...

               Answering this particular question of why it is important to read Huck Finn is a relatively difficult one. The first time I read Huck Finn I didn’t necessarily take anything from it. However, coming back and re-reading it again has begun to change my perspective. The reason why I think Huck Finn is important is because I see him as one the most human characters ever created. I think the fact he is confused, doesn’t necessarily know the right actions to take, and is lost in the world trying to form meaning for himself makes him much more real. Huck’s quote “You can’t pray a lie,” (200) stuck out to me the most as I was reading the last half. And after he decides to help Jim instead of giving him up is the turning point within Huck’s character. Every human goes through a time in their lives in which they have to make difficult choices that test who they really are. I think Twain created the character of Huck Finn for a human base that was instructed of all the societal norms, and under those he creates adventures for Huck to take a journey that changes the way he thinks and feels. However, I think this concept only works if we try to bring our own interpretation and feelings to the book as well, because I don’t disagree that Huck is a relatively simple character at times. I think that the reader must be a companion to Huck, and must truly feel Huck’s confusion in a chaotic and violent world. Huck doesn’t make leaps and bounds when you consider his “transformation” within the novel, but our journey of reading his gives the reader a much more personal connection to Huck, even if he doesn’t make any drastic changes himself.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment