Sunday, January 26, 2014

Ummm... Yeah. Entry

Hello all!

I think that I'm the only one in the class who has lived under a rock because I've never read The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn at any point in my life. I didn't even know close to anything about its content or that it had to do with living on a floating raft for an extended period of time!

So... As for being on the whole "perception of Twain's novel changing from re-reading it" I am totally not on the same boat as y'all cuz this is my first time reading it and actually knowing the story.

But without further digression, I'm gonna continue on with this assignment!

I was thoroughly intrigued while reading chapter 11 when Huck tries to act like a girl in front of the woman Mrs. Loftus. I thought it was interesting because there was switch of power between the roles of gender  in that scene when Mrs. Loftus calls out Huck on his disguise. Right after she gleans from him that he is a boy Mrs. Loftus goes on this tangent explaining to Huck the "lady" way on how to do things on page 80. I feel like here we are getting the typical 20th century view of women because they are trained in a way to fit their feminine gender roles--and all of this is from society. Society is what has the power to tell men and women how to act accordingly to their gender. It's interesting when Mrs. Loftus explains to Huck how by holding the needle still while poking the thread through the whole is "the way a woman most always does" (Twain 80) and how girls throw their knees apart to catch something in their laps and not clench them together (like Huck did with the lead) because it reveals what society has engraved in her. Just that whole paragraph was fascinating for me because it showed her having the upper hand in the situation but already knowing the mannerisms of her sex.



No comments:

Post a Comment